[LMB] OT: AKICOTL - siding

Jane Starr jane at starchak.ca
Sun Sep 6 04:02:24 BST 2009

Quoting Claire Nollet <cnollet at gmail.com>:
> Jane -- if you live in the USA and can afford it, if you replace the windows
> THIS year and blow in insulation, you will get HUGE tax credits from the
> Feds when you file your taxes next year.  It's part of the stimulus package,
> encouraging people to make their homes energy-efficient.

I'm in Canada. There's supposed to be a home renovation tax credit
this year only, but the max is under $1400 and it actually hasn't been
approved by Parliament so although it has been heavily promoted and
many people have taken advantage of it, if the government falls before
passing it, they'll all be hooped. Probably. I think there are energy
efficiency rebates but we've never had the house tested so have never
claimed for any of the stuff we've done so far because we can't prove
that they've made the place more energy efficient. We notice a big
difference in comfort everywhere we've improved, though. We renovate
one room every couple of years. We have two more to re-insulate on the
main floor, and only one of those still needs a replacement window.
The second floor windows were new in 1988 but they've almost all
failed and the company won't back their product so we'll replace them
(from another company). Eventually. If the tax credit does get
approved I'll submit receipts for the landscaping I've done in the
front yard

My house is pretty old by Edmonton standards - 62 years - and was
built as a show home by a local lumber company (as were all the houses
on this block - all different plans). The insulation was state of the
art for its day - rock wool with a paper backing for vapour barrier.
The second floor was just two bedrooms and was unfinished when the
house was sold to the first owners so the builders filled the cavity
above the main-floor ceiling with wood chips. We had to shovel them
out a chute from the front window into a dumpster in the front yard
when we expanded the second floor. Nightmare.

Ah, the joys of home ownership :)

Jane