[LMB] LQ #65: Bujold for here & now

Alex Haropulos aharo at erols.com
Thu Sep 10 12:35:46 BST 2009

Judy R Johnson wrote:
> Meanwhile, where are the lifeboats?  How do we assure that the human
> species has some eggs in a sustainable basket that's not on Terra?  Allow
> me to crow.  I've been saying for some years that NASA is wrong and
> planetcentric in aiming at the moon and mars - they are too big to
> terraform and the gravity never will be right for humans, and NASA has been
> downplaying the bad effects of low grav and radiation - so I say we should
> hole up inside asteroids and tether-swing them for artificial full gravity
> and a shirtsleeve environment.  Apparently this panel they're talking about
> on the news sorta agrees ("asteroids" were mentioned)

I have always wanted my own asteroid: with a big transparent steel
picture window, some propulsion to dodge other planetary system garbage,
and annual delivery of groceries (with a hydroponic greenhouse backup).

And, of course, high-speed internet and surround sound.

Alex H
Uh, am I describing the ultimate bachelor pad?