[LMB] Barrayar: Meeting everyone

Francis Turner francis.turner at gmail.com
Tue Apr 6 19:44:38 BST 2010

On Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 5:55 PM, John Lennard <john.c.lennard at gmail.com> wrote:
>Francis wrote:
>>Britain took about 300 years to go from the dictatorial divine right
>>of kings (James I) to extremely limited power for monarch and
>>aristocracy (George V). And we fought at least two civil wars
>>(depending on how you count them) to get to that stage.
>
> Umm ... I know about the one in the 1640s leading to the interregnum. What
> else do you mean? 1688? If so, it's *far* more notable for *not* being a
> civil war. One was expected, and didn't happen. And why George V? The civil
> war (1640s) saw political power demitted by a class, from aristocracy to
> squirearchy; 1688 completed the process, and the party structures were
> emerging by then. No monarch since James VII & II has claimed more than
> constitutional power - Victoria's refusal to sign the Criminal Law Amendmend
> Act in 1885 while it mentioned lesbianism is notorious precisely because it
> was wildly aberrant (and illegal), and only the Widow of Windsor could have
> done it, nu?
>
> John, puzzled.

Ok so the 2nd civil war I was thinking of was the 1745 Bonnie Prince
Charlie one which proved to everyone that the English really didn't
want a Stuart king and much preferred a manageable German.

While there wasn't much fighting in Britain in 1688 there was of
course plenty of battling across the sea in Ireland which was why I
put it down as "at least two"

I picked George V because his reign was when the House of Commons
asserted that the lords could not block legislation and thereby moved
not only the monarchy but also the aristocracy into a non-executive
role.

Francis

--
http://www.di2.nu/blog.htm