[LMB] OT- missions

Marilyn Traber mtraber251 at earthlink.net
Sun Apr 11 08:33:24 BST 2010

Rebekah wrote:
> Paula sez:
>
>> The missionary is working out of an assumption base and worldview which demands the missionary not particularly respect traditions and values and interests of other people which are out of keeping with those of the missionary....
>>

> Thank you for the qualifier, Paula.  I am so sorry your experiences have been so awful and invasive.
>
> I have some good news and some bad news :)  Modern church missions, at least in part, are showing a new respect for the cultures they live in, looking for points of convergence and trying to value these areas.  <snip>
> The bad news is that there are still a lot of people out there who have not caught up to the idea of valuing indigenous cultures and seeking to understand & love & assist people where they're at.

I have to add, where I don't have a dog in this fight per se,
unfortunately my great aunt Bessie is unfortunately a contributor to the
issue. She founded an organization that proseletizes specifically to
children by essentially taking them away and putting them in christian
boarding schools for 'education' and turns them into good little
christians despite the original religion of their families being
perfectly good - just not whatever flavor of christianity.

personally if I were dictator of any random country that organizations
try to preach as a condition of their 'aid' programs, they would be
bounced out so fast your head would spin. Actually I would probably make
missioning a deportable offence. I had enough issues being preached at
and I am nominally christian.

So, list christians - if you go to the republic of Banana, which is
nominally Catholic [and perhaps an admixture of a few protestants, some
jews and a nominal muslim for flavor], why do you feel the need to turn
them into protestants, isnt catholic good enough to get into heaven?
Isn't their flavor of protestant good enough? Isnt jewish good enough
for their form of heaven? isnt muslim good enough for their version of
paradise? All are people of the book and *theoretically* all honor the
same diety....

--

"This is me, Órale vato, this is who I am. Take me or leave me. You don't like me? Turn around and look the other way. Its that simple." - Eddie Guerrero

=======
http://www.pctools.com/
=======