[LMB] Barrayar - checking assumptions - OT:

Carol Cooper carolcooper at shaw.ca
Tue Apr 13 06:49:36 BST 2010

Eric Oppen
I don't know why Eric would go so far out of his
> way to 'frustrate me and my kind?'
> >
> > Carol
>
> Because my impression of many if not most of the anti-fox-hunting
> people is that while they talk a lot about cruelty to the poor little
> foxes, they have other motives---mainly "sticking a pin in the toffs."
>   I notice that very few, if any, of them, have a word to say against
> angling, which could be said to be equally cruel to fish.  Angling,
> unlike fox hunting, is a sport widely practiced by "ordinary folk,"
> though, so going after it would not be as much fun or as popular.
>
> I almost certainly would not hunt even if I were in Britain---horses
> cost money, and it helps to live in the countryside---but I would not
> lift a finger to stop people from doing it.  And if I did, I'd be
> willing to listen to people who tried to _reason with me_ about
> it...I'll hear out any case that is brought before me...but I do
> reserve the right to say "no, I disagree" and have that be the end of
> the matter.  _Moral suasion,_ you may always try...but unless I am
> doing something _mala in se,_ do not invoke the law against me.
>
> Another reason is because I am utterly disgusted by the British
> animal-rights and "anti-cruelty" movements in general.  They harassed
> a farmer unmercifully for _years and years_ because he bred guinea
> pigs to sell to laboratories; they went as far as digging a dead
> relative of his out of her grave and hiding the corpse to put pressure
> on him.
>
> And I am also less than sympathetic to the fox.  Foxes are predators
> themselves, and I can assure you that their kills are by no means
> painless.  They are also not endangered, so the argument from scarcity
> holds no water.

You're rolling together all sorts of unrelated things here.  The fact is
that foxhunting has little or nothing to do with pest control - it's a
particularly cruel bloodsport carried out largely for social display.
There's really no excuse for it.  If it was actually about pest control the
foxes could be killed far more efficiently and humanely by shooting them -
but that wouldn't provide such good 'sport'.  Perhaps you'd also like to see
bear-baiting and cockfighting brought back too?  Also considered good
'sport' by some folks.

The campaign against foxhunting had a far broader support base than just the
extreme animal rights types you're describing - lots of perfectly ordinary
people thought it was a national disgrace - no more justifiable than
bullfighting.

Carol