[LMB] OT: departing from foxhunting to points north

Tel teluekh at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 15 18:49:57 BST 2010

--- On Thu, 4/15/10, Howard Brazee <howard at brazee.net> wrote:

> I've got a book written about http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alex_%28parrot%29
> (http://www.amazon.com/Alex-Me-Scientist-Uncovered-Intelligence/dp/0061672475/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1271350834&sr=8-1)
>
> Even with a such a tiny brain, that parrot has enough
> communication ability to demonstrate
> sapience.   Other sapient animals that don't
> communicate as well may likely remain unrecognized.

I've always been much more impressed with the parrot people, who are unquestionably doing science and not PR. A lot of the signing experiments have been very subjective and dubious.

But humans have a strong tendency to dehumanize even humans who can't effectively communicate, or can only intermittantly communicate. People with autism get this a lot.

(Aral, his knife, and Dubauer... what did he know about what was going on in Dubauer's head?)

-Tel, whose grandmother has a mounted fox paw, and who thinks sending troops to pursue a runaway soldier so that he can be properly torn into four or five pieces by his own side is much, much more appalling.