[LMB] OT: survival supplies and supply breakdown

Alex Haropulos aharo at erols.com
Fri Apr 16 09:13:08 BST 2010

On 4/16/2010 1:27 AM, M. Haller Yamada wrote:
> Oh, and a handy-dandy light tip: A battery-powered lantern is a really good idea, depending on how long you need it. If you find yourself relying on candles (urk!), you can double the luminosity by positioning a mirror behind it . . . but that doesn't help *all* that much! I wonder if those solar walk-way lights would provide enough light to read/cook by.

During Hurricane Isabel, my husband found himself in a taxi coming home
from Dulles (DC outer airport). When he got a block from the house, the
cabbie refused to go any farther, since the power was out and some lines
were down. Trudging along with his roll-on suitcase, he was pleased to
find that we were an oasis of light in the dark - two kerosene lamps and
a battery-powered florescent lamp and radio.

That was pretty exciting. No power for 18 hours, a major tree limb
collapsing our garden shed.

It is amazing how hard it is to remember NOT to open the refrigerator door!

Alex H