[LMB] OT: Emergency

Paula Lieberman paal at gis.net
Fri Apr 16 21:09:48 BST 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "Katrina Knight" <kknight at fastmail.fm>
To: "Discussion of the works of Lois McMaster Bujold."
<lois-bujold at lists.herald.co.uk>
Sent: Friday, April 16, 2010 2:39 PM
Subject: Re: [LMB] OT: Emergency

> At 12:47 PM 04/16/2010 Jane Hotchkiss wrote:
>>For those of you with gas stoves, are you aware that most now have
>>electric starters, even with pilot lights, and consequently aren't usable
>>when the electricity is unavailable?

Dumb question time--how  long will gas continue being delivered if the power
goes out for weeks, and deliveries to the pipelines stop?!

> I've never seen a gas stove that couldn't be lit with a match regardless
> of how it was supposed to be lit. Is there something about new ones that
> prevents you from doing that?

There are some other alternatives--portable  intended-for-coal grills with a
supply of coal (or perhaps even wood),  backyard barbecue pits which can use
charcoal or wood...   There are even solar cookers, though I can't recall
having seen any for sale in stores.

Other useful things --windup flashlights.