[LMB] Kind of on topic: Jokull means glacier?

TGC tcollett at topazgryphon.org
Tue Apr 20 13:20:48 BST 2010

On Apr 20, 2010, at 2:12 AM, M. Haller Yamada wrote:

>  http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/04/16/iceland-volcano-spews-consonants-and-vowels/
>
> The NY Times tells how to pronounce the name of the volcano. Guest starring Jokull! (or have I got the name wrong, and it's not our favorite owner of polar bears?)

To be clear, I'm pretty sure that it's correctly spelled "Jökull" (or, if you prefer it without the umlaut, "Joekull"), which is how I've mostly seen it on BBC websites...and if Icelandic is much like German (which it should be, being in the same family), that "oe" should be pronounced closer to a short, flat "e" than anything else--so almost like "Jeckyl".  Except that the "J" is pronounced as a "Y" ;-)

Timothy Collett

--

To be great is to be misunderstood.
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson