[LMB] Pronunciation and rhyme [was consonants]

Jasini jasinikc at gmail.com
Sat Apr 24 00:10:14 BST 2010

On 4/22/2010 4:59 PM, John Lennard wrote:
> 3. This is not the same sound as either cot/hot or caught/short (and
> 'to be
> caught short' is a phrase because it rhymes, which, say, caught hot or shot
> short don't).

Oddly enough, in my version of American, "caught short" doesn't rhyme,
but "caught hot" does. Not as closely as "cot hot" would be, but close
enough for a memorable phrase, if it were one.

--
Jasini

If there's nothing wrong with me, maybe there's something wrong with the universe.
--Dr. Beverly Crusher, Star Trek, The Next Generation.