[LMB] OT: Sex drive and society (was) Dono - (Now)...

Alexandra Kwan litalex at gmail.com
Wed Dec 8 15:49:09 GMT 2010

Hello,

On 8 Dec 2010, at 10:23 PM, Thad Coons wrote:
> person you find attractive. But the rest of society?  Television,
> movies, popular music...Of books with a romantic component written
> in the past thirty years, I don't think there's one in twenty that
> doesn't have include having sex sooner or  later, and it's more
> often sooner than later. Delayed gratification is not a popular
> message.

Perhaps, perhaps not. But it's definitely not the entertainment
industry's job to provide education about sex.

>  What I do hear (not that I hear a whole lot) from
> teens who are determined to stay abstinent is that the peer
> pressure to have sex (of some variety) can get pretty
> intense.

Again, I think there's definitely a difference in how girls and boys
are treated.

> hypocrisy detectors, I'm not too surprised at the relative
> ineffectiveness of some programs.

Not just some, most.
http://www.siecus.org/_data/global/images/research_says.pdf

I guess it depends on what you're trying to avoid. I'd much rather
have fewer teenagers running around pregnant and transmitting STDs
than anything...

Though there is a new study that shows that one kind of abstinence sex
education might work, ones that lay out the consequences and do so
without morality or religious flavour. And it's not abstinence until
marriage either, but just...later.

little Alex