[LMB] AKICOTL: Heisenberg anecdote?

Becca becca_price at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 31 15:56:46 GMT 2010

OK, this has been bugging me for awhile. Long years ago, I read an anecdote about Heisenberg that I only faintly remember, but have never been able to find again, and can't find any documentation for it. If anyone knows the full story or can help me find documentation, I would really love to know if it was true.

as I dimly recall, Heisenberg was giving a lecture to a bunch of Physics students, and said something to the effect that there was a "heisenbergian" opposite (I wish I could recall the term that was used) for everything in physics - location/speed of a particle being the classic one. A student asked him what the opposite of precision was, and he responded "clarity".

Has anyone (other than me) heard this story and knows the real version? or can help me document it?

Thanks!

-becca

There are nine and sixty ways of constructing tribal lays
And every single one of them is right!
--Rudyard Kipling