[LMB] Barrayaran Law

Michael R N Dolbear m.dolbear at lineone.net
Wed Jul 7 23:51:53 BST 2010

> From: Howard Brazee <howard at brazee.net>
> Date: 06 July 2010 18:49

> On 7/6/2010 10:19 AM, Adam Ek wrote:
> > So how does Barrayaran Law work?

> > Is it unitary (laws are the same throughout the empire) or federal
(imperial
> > laws go throughout, but there are additional levels of law for each
> > district). Textev (Cordelia's comment about sixty different
socio-economic
> > petri dishes) seems to indicate that it's federal with different laws
in
> > different districts.

> Also - how much is based upon common law and precedent?

Well so far we have had
Imperial Edicts (as against duellng)
Joint Council law
customary law (doweries !, custody of children)
Komaran laws (I think)
military law

I assume each District will have local laws as well as bylaws for
chartered towns and cities and indeed librarians and other guilds.

There would have to be provision for law and regulations on civilian
space stations and ships and indeed on the Southern Continent (which
hasn't got Districts).

I don't think the system is strictly federal but rather hierarchical so
any Komarran law (say) can be overridden by Joint Council law but only
explictly or by necessary implication.

Michael Dolbear,
Little Egret in Walton-on-Thames