[LMB] Cetaganda: Haut Population Growth

James M. BRYANT G4CLF james at jbryant.eu
Wed Jun 2 10:25:25 BST 2010

Rebekah thinks that:-

 >...if they desired a population explosion, they
could manufacture one, as Vormuir did.

There are costs. EoA Chapter 5:-

“Not likely,” remarked Ethan. “Not battalions, anyway.”

“Why not? Why not clone as many as you want, once you've made the mold?”

“Oh, certainly, you could produce quantities of
infants­although it would take enormous resources
to do so. Highly trained techs, as well as
equipment and supplies. But don't you see, that’s
just the beginning. It’s nothing, compared to
what it takes to raise a child. Why, on Athos it
absorbs most of the planet’s economic resources.
Food of course­housing­education, clothing,
medical care­it takes nearly all our efforts just
to maintain population replacement, let alone to
increase. No government could possibly afford to
raise such a specialized, non-productive army.”

Elli Quinn quirked an eyebrow. “How odd. On other
worlds, people seem to come in floods, and
they’re not necessarily impoverished, either.”

Ethan, diverted, said, “Really? I don't see how
that can be. Why, the labor costs alone of
bringing a child to maturity are astronomical.
There must be something wrong with your accounting.”

Her eyes screwed up in an expression of sudden
ironic insight. “Ah, but on other worlds the
labor costs aren't added in. They’re counted as free.”

Ethan stared. “What an absurd bit of double
thinking! Athosians would never sit still for
such a hidden labor tax! Don’t the primary
nurturers even get social duty credits?”

“I believe,” her voice was edged with a peculiar
dryness, “they call it women’s work."