[LMB] Cetaganda: Twin Empires and the Occupation

Marilyn Traber mtraber251 at earthlink.net
Sat Jun 5 02:33:10 BST 2010

Tel wrote:
> [...]
yay I picked a random number and no textev on original number, deal with it.
> It's highly implausible that (good grief) 999 million people would agree to emigrate from Earth just so they could be crushed under the heel of the Cetagandan aristocracy.
>
> Back in the day, Rome was the best thing going for immigrants. But if your immigrant has the choice between Ancient Rome and NYC, guess where they're not going?

When I said think of Imperial Rome I meant in the idea of a very
stratified culture. Not that Ceta were freaking romans. Population
PROBABLY moved voluntarily and it was = to earth at that time. No textev
it wasnt.

The damned planetary population had to come from somewhere, and when
Earth fell, they had to stay where they were and develop their own
government. At the time they moved to ceta it was probably as modern as
earth was so no apples/oranges comparison of places to move.

Lack of modern crap = essentially slave labor/serfs/peasants under the
dominion of aristos.

Aristos screw said peasantry = ghem
>> and give them a planetary government of 1 million
>> assorted bureaucrats. They make the decision that all ruling
>> caste children will come from the 'original governing
>> families' so there are 100 clans [echoing the roman tribal
>> structure that is original to  prerepublican rome]
>>
>> Now these 100 clans are hording what little remains of the
>> tech available for health maintenance, and the understanding
>> of genetics. They make the determination that they need to
>> keep their  family lines pure, so they restrict
>> marriage contracts between the 100 constellations. All
>> marriages are contracted, so they can keep mutations to a
>> minimum and the lineage known. Soon they come up with a way
>> again to do IVF, so they make the ruling that all crosses
>> will be IVF so they can check a cell to make sure that
>> everything is clean genetically. That means they then start
>> the 'file' of cells of the resulting kids. Call it 500 years
>> ago, as they had their small time of isolation because it
>> was financially impractical to leave planets and travel
>> outside individual solar systems.
>>

> You build a wall around Tarquin's Rome and ban trade and immigration for 500 years and you're not going to get a thriving metropolis, you're going to get a podunk town in the middle of Italy.
>
> For a real uncontrolled population boom you need either to be an attractive destination for free immigration or have a deindustrialized rural population. Excepting Space Amish, you're only going to get the second in a Barrayar-like scenario or on Earth.

Repeat, ceta is not rome, ceta culturally imperial roman, stratified
aristos on top, peasantry on bottom, ghem created by screwing peasants
and created a middle class.

I never said that ceta banned any sort of trade or immigration.i have no
idea where you got that from.

If the colony started out fully populated with 1 billion, with 1 million
bosses, the bosses = aristos, the population = serfs. Aristos are not
going to voluntarily become serfs and they are not going to let the
serfs become bosses. Bosses over the centuries screw serfs, brats
created become ghem as they are not serfs and they are not bosses. Now
they have magic tech and control everything from one office.

There, is that simple enough for what I was trying to say? Now stop
antagnizing me on a horridly bad body day and read before posting.

--

"This is me, Órale vato, this is who I am. Take me or leave me. You don't like me? Turn around and look the other way. Its that simple." - Eddie Guerrero