[LMB] An unexpected Bujold fan?

Michael R N Dolbear m.dolbear at lineone.net
Sat Jun 5 13:59:12 BST 2010

> From: Damien Sullivan <phoenix at ugcs.caltech.edu>
> Date: 05 June 2010 08:20

> On Sat, Jun 05, 2010 at 12:16:52AM -0500, Eric Oppen wrote:

> > For starters, some of the Klingon Emperor's most trusted servitors
are
> > his Imperial Paladins.  Their job description is to go places and
check
> > up on things where the Emperor can't, and they basically wield his
> > authority in his name.  While they have two ranks (Trusted Hands of
the
> > EMperor and Trusted Eyes of the Emperor) they otherwise sound a great

> > deal like Imperial Auditors.
>
> Perhaps.  OTOH I wouldn't be surprised if there were historical
> analogues, though I can't think of any for sure now.  Fictionwise,

In a "Judge Dee" historical detective novel there is a Chinese Imperial
Censor which matches pretty well.

> > Also, in the listing of known Klingon ships, there was a place for
> > "penal" ships---places where the Klingons put their chronic screw-ups

> > and people who'd really done something wrong, so that they had a
chance
> > to regain their lost honor.  One of these ships' name was _The Leper
> > Colony._
>
> And that seems even more likely to be 'real'...

Copied from stories of FBI agents being posted to Oklahoma and French
magistrates and prosecutors to obscure towns ?

Or Hilaire Belloc

" .... failed
Go out and govern New South Wales"

Michael Dolbear,