[LMB] An unexpected Bujold fan?

Damien Sullivan phoenix at ugcs.caltech.edu
Sat Jun 5 23:46:22 BST 2010

On Sat, Jun 05, 2010 at 12:28:01PM -0500, Eric Oppen wrote:

> This reminds me of a question I've long wanted an answer to.  I was
> intrigued to find that in the North American French colony of St. Pierre
> and Miquelon, the local police are members of the same national gendarme
> organization that polices Metropolitan France.
>
> Is this considered just another assignment, a plum post (not much crime
> there, after all) or their equivalent of sending someone to the Russian
> Front?  "Pierre, you are the biggest bungler in the entire
> _Gendarmerie._  I can't have you shot---but I can send you to St.
> Pierre!"

I'm not French, but I can see an ambiguity in your statement.  Does
"members" mean that they're actually from continental France, or that
they're part of the hierarchy?  AIUI France has a more inclusive
attitude to its overseas territories, while being less federal, so it
might be more like as if Puerto Rico and Guam were equivalent to states,
but we didn't have states, just the FBI.  So the local cops would
probaby be Puerto Ricans or Guam natives, perhaps with some mainland
training, but they'd be part of the FBI or US Marshalls just like the
cops in Peoria in this setup, who would likely be native Peorians who'd
joined the FBI.

-xx- Damien X-)