[LMB] An unexpected Bujold fan?

Eric Oppen technomad at intergate.com
Sun Jun 6 01:09:31 BST 2010

Quoting Damien Sullivan <phoenix at ugcs.caltech.edu>:

> On Sat, Jun 05, 2010 at 12:28:01PM -0500, Eric Oppen wrote:
>
>> This reminds me of a question I've long wanted an answer to.  I was
>> intrigued to find that in the North American French colony of St. Pierre
>> and Miquelon, the local police are members of the same national gendarme
>> organization that polices Metropolitan France.
>>
>> Is this considered just another assignment, a plum post (not much crime
>> there, after all) or their equivalent of sending someone to the Russian
>> Front?  "Pierre, you are the biggest bungler in the entire
>> _Gendarmerie._  I can't have you shot---but I can send you to St.
>> Pierre!"
>
> I'm not French, but I can see an ambiguity in your statement.  Does
> "members" mean that they're actually from continental France, or that
> they're part of the hierarchy?

AFAIK, it's the same organization all through France, and gendarmes
are assigned as-needed.  A locally-born gendarme _might_ be at an
advantage being assigned there, but might deliberately be assigned
somewhere else, too.  The Spanish Civil Guard did something like
this---Civil Guards were never assigned to their home districts.

AIUI France has a more inclusive