[LMB] Cetaganda: Twin Empires and the Occupation

Judy R. Johnson jrj at fidalgo.net
Mon Jun 7 02:27:08 BST 2010

On 6/6/2010 5:52 PM, M. Haller Yamada wrote:
> Space Amish? (-: I can't even begin to wrap my head around it, but the idea would make a fantastic book.
>
> It's really hard to say what the non-ghem, non-haut classes are like. Maybe they are given a whole lot of freedom, and the low tax rate may be historical. If the people are tended like flowers, Cetaganda might have been a very attractive place for settlers . . . but a billion settlers 800 years ago? Hmmm, I can't see that either.
>
> Why would people have moved? Borderline colonies near Cetaganda (I think Cetaganda has a lot of good wormhole jumps, if I remember right). Generous social policy, and perhaps Cetaganda encourages more than two kids per couple (which would be attractive to *some* people, but not all, I grant). Bountiful, beautiful land that's compatible with Earth botany? Wonderful tech opportunities, or energy resources? If Cetaganda is covered with glittering cities (see Miles' descent into Cetaganda), I think it must be some sort of great energy resource that powers all these places.
>
> Bizarre things have happened historically. I can't help but imagine that bizarre things might happen in the future, too.
>
> Micki
> (Still in Sunday mode on a Monday morning)

====================================
NEW -- JRJ> I can see wannabe farmers of people (Ceteganda) offering
free space transport and government to facilitate immigration -- of
farmers of land (Amish types) and the poverty stricken or politically
disenchanted of the Nexus generally (not just Terra) -- to the several
worlds they might have controlled and developed.  Instead of Real Estate
Developers, they would be world developers, just needing a head start on
acquiring the worlds and money to finance the project.

So if they struck it rich on their first world, they might have searched
out more through their multiple wormholes and purposely directed their
subsequent development any way they pleased.  Suppose the first Cet
world was settled by dissident Betans with enough money to arrive fully
equipped with technology.  Extrapolate from there.

Also, the worlds might not be very much alike, and the governmental
setup the Cetegandans impose per each world might vary in controlled
experiments even as they pursued controlled experiments in genetics.
Don't believe there's textev one way or another.

Another possibility would be one of the JW houses striking out for an
independent world to wholly control, maybe 300 years ago.  Or so.

--
Entwife Judy
Who doubts if the status quo is ever well enough to be let alone