[LMB] Cetagandan population levels and proto-haut

M. Haller Yamada thefabmadamem at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 10 05:19:27 BST 2010

Jane's comment about the Nazis doing much the same thing crossed my mind, too. See, the thing is, it's very fun to speculate about genetic perfection. BUT, in the end, the genius of the age seems to be quite a random thing. In general, musical ability will run through families . . . but a how many times have you heard of musical geniuses running in families? Sure, there were a lot of Bachs who wrote songs, but the average person only can hum something from THE Bach these days.

Genius is a sport, and I don't think you can cultivate it. It's an accident of genetics and nurturance and personality.

So, while I can totally believe a society like Cetaganda trying to engineer perfection, I have doubts about whether it would actually work . . . and so do a lot of other societies in the Vorkosiverse.

What's good genetics right now isn't necessarily good genetics for the very different future.

Micki