[LMB] General Theme Question

Natali natali.vilic at zd.t-com.hr
Thu Jun 10 07:16:36 BST 2010

On Wednesday, June 09, 2010 11:42 PM riz wrote:

> [...]

As Elli sees it, and we have textev about
that, Miles is acting to be lord Vorkosigan
("I've heard you do his accent"). All what
Lord Vorkosigan is, for Elly is acting. She
cannot understand how Miles can still be
committed to Barrayar. It may be difficult to
understand, but he *is*, and she waves it off
as silly. While in the same time, that commitment
*is* his core. And she does not understand or
accept that.
It is her, who sees Vorkosigan and Naismith
as completely polarized, to the measure that
Vorkosigan is negligible to her.

Another important difference between them is
in this quote:
Elli sais: "A mercenary fleet sees ten times
the action of a planetary one. A dirtball may
see war once a generation, if it's lucky-"

 "Or unlucky," Miles interpolated."

Their priorities are, already at that
point in Miles' life, completely opposite.
That's why I never saw them as a matching
couple. One of them should give up his/hers
deepest beliefs, so that they could last
together. That was never a good fundament
for a lasting relationship, if one of the
couple has to pretend all the time.
Now, I am not saying that opposites cannot
last together, and that they have to be
identical in everything. Just in the way
they are generally directed.

You can take a Vorkosigan out of Barrayar,
but you cannot take Barrayar out of a Vorkosigan.
:D

Natali