[LMB] Ethan of Athos: The bit where Ethan's sleeping with his

Howard Brazee howard at brazee.net
Thu Jun 10 15:29:21 BST 2010

On 6/10/2010 8:07 AM, CatMtn at aol.com wrote:
> Sex and reproduction are entirely apart from one another on Athos, so
> doesn't it follow that the Athosians wouldn't care about incest?  The  limited
> number of ovarian cultures would be more of a concern, there.  And  since
> they use uterine replicators which would permit gene cleansing for  possible
> mutations, even that probably wouldn't be much of an issue.

I don't believe that the primary reason against incest is genetic.    In
the case of immediate households, there is a huge authority conflict
with incest which is overriding.   And in more distant incest
definitions (cousins, etc), there is an advantage in expanding family
cultures.

Very tight cultures, such as that on Easter Island, have strict incest
rules.   They need the cultural diversity.    I get the impression that
Athos has a pretty tight culture.   Working for diversity within its
larger culture would fit what we see on Earth.