[LMB] General Theme Question

Judy R. Johnson jrj at fidalgo.net
Sun Jun 13 03:49:31 BST 2010

> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Tel" <teluekh at yahoo.com>

====================================
NEW -- JRJ> I don't recall that who would stay at home with the kids was
ever discussed between Miles and Elli.  Yet Tel keeps saying that he
refused to do so, as if it was stated overtly.  So did I miss something?
  Actually, were kids ever mentioned?  Of course, they are implied in a
proposal of marriage.

And it is true that if you live in a conservative society and want a
peaceful life, you need to at least nod toward the accustomed
child-rearing practices of your peers, which on Barrayar at that time
would not include paternal nurturers and absentee moms.  Now, Cordelia
had a vast advantage in that her shopping expedition conferred so much
awe upon her that she could get away with a lot of variation in raising
both the Prime Minister's son and the future Emperor.  She also had
privacy and loyal servants.  But would she be able and willing to run
interference for Ellie or be a substitute Mom?

But, really, I don't think such possibilities were even discussed.  From
EofA, I gathered that Elli was fairly conventional in her family values,
and would herself have expected to stay home with her kids had she
decided to have some.  But she chose instead to focus on her career.
  I've seen others who come from a large extended family do the same,
consoling themselves that the family bloodline will survive quite nicely
without their personal contribution.  Some didn't much care about kids
anyway, but Elli did a lot of babysitting when young and was fond of her
nephew, so since she didn't speak of babysitting as a fate worse than
death, I think she would fulfill maternity with her usual competence --
had she chosen to do so.

--
Entwife Judy
Who doubts if the status quo is ever well enough to be let alone