[LMB] General Theme Question

Joel Polowin jpolowin at hotmail.com
Sun Jun 13 15:11:44 BST 2010

Judy R. Johnson wrote:
> And it is true that if you live in a conservative society and want a
> peaceful life, you need to at least nod toward the accustomed
> child-rearing practices of your peers, which on Barrayar at that time
> would not include paternal nurturers and absentee moms.

I'd expect that for the upper upper class, child-rearing practises
might include nannies and boarding schools.  Direct parenting need
not take a lot of time.  We know that Miles got a lot of direct
attention from his parents and that Ivan was figuratively smothered
by his mother, but even Elena didn't get a lot of direct parenting
from her father.  Countess Vorkosigan would have a lot of time free
for what would be regarded as the important stuff: running social
events, being a figurehead at public events, and so on.  She needn't
be a stay-at-home mom... but it's still not a life that would be
attractive to a woman who'd made her own career as an independent
mercenary soldier.