[LMB] General Theme Question - potential Lady Vorkosigans

Judy R. Johnson jrj at fidalgo.net
Sun Jun 13 19:01:56 BST 2010

> Quoting Jennifer Blaikie <jennifer_blaikie at hotmail.com>:
>

>> hey Guys,
>>
>> I think that Taura was probably never in the running for Lady
>> Vorkosigan as she never expected to live very long.  She has already
>>  out-lived her siblings and was living on a year to year basis.  I
>> have the impression that no treatment has been found for her rapid
>> ageing and so she was not expecting to live long enough to be
>> properly able to raise her kids and even if she could, there would
>> be a high chance that her kids would never reach 20.
>>

> Not to mention...would she be fertile with a "normal" human, and even
> if she got pregnant, would the pregnancy last till birth?  Is she even
> fertile, full-stop?

====================================
NEW -- JRJ> Even if she were fertile, Taura would be ethical enough to
not randomly pass on her genes.  I know families with inherited mental
illness in which you can tell who has inherited the instability by
whether or not they choose to have offspring.  ...You guessed it:  the
instable breed, and the stable marry on the condition of not having
children.

For non-random reproduction, her genes would be under constant study in
various labs, should think.  What is beneficial will live on.  She's
making the best life she can with the hand she's been dealt.

--
  Entwife Judy
Who doubts if the status quo is ever well enough to be let alone