[LMB] Ethan of Athos: The bit where Ethan's sleeping with his brother

Damien Sullivan phoenix at ugcs.caltech.edu
Mon Jun 14 00:16:04 BST 2010

On Sun, Jun 13, 2010 at 06:07:03PM -0500, Eric Oppen wrote:

> I'd say that a lot of the incest taboo is less about inbreeding than
> other things---otherwise it wouldn't apply between, forex, relations by
> adoption and step-relatives.  My own theory *pausing to don my most

I'd say there's two levels of incest.  One's a more instinctive lack of
interest in people around in one's childhood.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imprinting_%28psychology%29#Westermarck_effect
The other is a more cultural list of people who are off-limits and
should be disguting as sexual partners, which may or may not overlap
particularly with the Westermarck effect.

And then modern culture has its own reconstructions of 'rationally'
taboo incest, based on genetics (think of the children!) or power
relations, as well as the deconstruction of "well if they aren't
children and they're all consenting independent adults, why should we
care?"

-xx- Damien X-)