[LMB] The Admiral and Madame Naismths vs. the Lord and Lady Vorkosigans, was General Theme Question

Damien Sullivan phoenix at ugcs.caltech.edu
Mon Jun 14 02:20:19 BST 2010

On Sun, Jun 13, 2010 at 09:10:02PM -0400, Paula Lieberman wrote:

> Miles had never seen his mother as a Betan Survey Captain.  He had seen
> her in the guise of the "Betan frill" whom those with a brain and able

Yeah, and in one of his first two books he wonders "why did I never want
to be a ship's captain like my mother?"

> d) Cordelia was most of a generation older than Miles -- Cordelia was
> what, in her 40s?--when she went to Barrayar, and a mature adult who had

I think 33 to Aral's 44.  At least when they met.  So we meet her around
the age we've last seen Miles.

As for marriage... I've known couples with long-distance segments of the
marriage, due to career (esp. military.)  Unpleasant, but they cope.
Elli *could* have been a Lady Vorkosigan... who wasn't on Barrayar much,
and produced heirs through uterine replicators, and whom Miles joined in
the galaxy for some portion of the year.  But this might defeat the point
for both of them, especially with Elli finding Lord Vorkosigan boring.
Though I don't know how much pure LV she'd seen, vs. Lord Lieutenant
Vorkosigan reporting back to ImpSec.  OTOH a sometimes wife was more
action than Lord Vorkosigan had been getting on his own. :)

Someone mentioned retirement... Elli was born on Kline Station IIRC; no
need for her to retire to a *planet*.

-xx- Damien X-)