[LMB] The Admiral and Madame Naismths vs. the Lord and LadyVorkosigans, was General Theme Question

Howard Brazee howard at brazee.net
Mon Jun 14 18:36:31 BST 2010

On 6/14/2010 10:59 AM, Michael R N Dolbear wrote:
>> Other examples of absent husbands/fathers:
>> >  o Count Rumford (he who endowed  a chair at Harvard and whom the baking
>> >  powder brand is named after) who absconded from New England during the
>> >  blockage of Boston across the Atlantic (he was a Tory....) and never
>> >  returned to this side of the Atlantic, leaving behind his wife and his
>> >  daughter--whom Congress passed an act to allow her to inherit her
>>
> father's
>
>> >  (foreign) title whom apparently he never saw again
>>
> Have you a cite for such an Act of Congress ?
>
> I couldn't find one and it seems Constitutionally unnecessary.

I'm wondering if it may be an act of parliament instead.    Tony Curtis'
son-in-law used to sit on the House of Lords, until they made that
illegal in 1999.

Guest became the 5th Baron Haden-Guest
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baron_Haden-Guest>, of Saling
<http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Saling&action=edit&redlink=1>, in
the County of Essex <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Essex>, when his
father died in 1996. He succeeded upon the ineligibility of his older
half-brother, Anthony Haden-Guest
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthony_Haden-Guest>, who was born prior
to the marriage of his parents
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illegitimacy>. According to an article in
/The Guardian <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Guardian>/, Guest
attended the House of Lords
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_of_Lords> regularly until the House
of Lords Act 1999 <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_of_Lords_Act_1999>
barred most hereditary peers from their seats. In the article Guest
remarked:

" 	There's no question that the old system was unfair. I mean, why
should you be born to this? But now it's all just sheer cronyism. The
Prime Minister can put in whoever he wants and bus them in to vote. The
Upper House <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_of_Lords> should be an
elected body, it's that simple. 	"

Guest married actress Jamie Lee Curtis
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jamie_Lee_Curtis> in 1984 at the home of
their mutual friend Rob Reiner
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rob_Reiner>. They have two adopted
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adoption> children: The Hon. Anne (born
1986) and The Hon. Thomas (born 1996). Because Guest's children are
adopted, they cannot inherit the family barony under the terms of the
letters patent <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Letters_patent> that
created it, though a 2004 Royal Warrant addressing the style of a peer's
adopted children states that they can use courtesy titles. The current
heir presumptive <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heir_presumptive> to the
barony is Guest's younger brother, the actor Nicholas Haden-Guest
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicholas_Guest>.