[LMB] Ethan of Athos: Terrence Cee

Damien Sullivan phoenix at ugcs.caltech.edu
Sun Jun 20 17:21:44 BST 2010

> On Jun 19, 2010, at 11:43 PM, Raye Johnsen wrote:
>
> > Do we hate a cobra for being a cobra, or a spider for being a
> > spider?  I know that I don't perceive the Cetagandans as human
> > anymore.  I don't think they're better but the haut at least are,
> > IMHO, sufficiently different at the genetic level that they aren't
> > human anymore.  I can hate Ryoval and Bharaputra; they're human and
> > can be judged as human.  The Cetagandans are black widow spiders or
> > taipans - deadly, dangerous, to be treated with extreme caution and
> > a long stick, but not human and not to be judged as though they
> > were.

This seems a false analogy to me.  By all signs haut are most definitely
*people*, in the best SFnal sense of the term.  They're not all that
inhuman either IMO, even if they'd have natural breeding difficulties.
They don't have alien viewpoints, they don't have animalistic instinct
or lack of theory of mind or lack of moral agency, or lack of
neurological empathy.

-xx- Damien X-)