[LMB] Ethan of Athos: Terrence Cee

M. Haller Yamada thefabmadamem at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 21 02:37:39 BST 2010

Terrence is not sketched in very well . . . or maybe my mind just doesn't fill in the blanks. I don't really sympathize with him, even though he's been through horrible stuff. I wish him well, of course, but I'm not invested in him.

(-: I liked the "spark your ESP with wine and drinking snacks" approach, though. I'd forgotten about that when we were discussing telepathy earlier. Much nicer than coke and mentos.

As for the Cetagandans . . . their atrocities are condoned by a government. With Jacksonians, it's pretty much in the name of business, since the gov't is soooo laissez faire. I know that's not a good answer. And I'm not really happy with the Cetagandans' MO (nor the Barrayarans, either). But, couldn't have good fiction unless someone is causing conflicts.

In general, Cetaganda seems to have a rule of law, and they are concerned that the majority of their citizens are doing well (the garden of taxes); they seem like a plausible gov't. With Jackson's Whole, we see misery, exploitation, and really nothing good unless you are a rich entrepeneur with the lack of morals necessary to survive on Jackson's Whole.

Worth exploring, this question. My brain is fried today, though.

Micki