[LMB] OT: intelligence (was Re: Cetagandan population)

Harimad harimad2001 at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 22 02:11:43 BST 2010

TSS> Tora wrote, about intelligence:
TSS> Intelligence, however, seems to be fairly well-
TSS> studied as far as nature vs. nurture to be about
TSS> 50-50.  (twin studies, etc. though don't ask how
TSS> they measure intelligence...)

There's a fascinating bit in Michael Lewis's book "The Blind Side" that's very relevant here.  The book is about Michael Oher (pronounced "oar"), a disadvantaged-beyond-belief kid from the wrong side of the Memphis, Tennessee.  He finds himself at an exclusive Christian high school and, later during high school, taken in by a very rich white family.  When he starts at the school his IQ is measured at 80.  Two years later, after intensive training, tutoring, experiences that most of take for granted, and love, all lavished on him by his new family, his IQ tests about 110.

The tester marveled at this, saying that we can compare the have-nots and the haves pretty easily but it's damn rare to see someone move from the one to the other and see what happens.

- Harimad