[LMB] OT: Pronunciation of Megaera

kerry weisselberg kerilli at gmail.com
Thu Jun 24 08:56:10 BST 2010

and Ed Burkhead wrote:
>Languages morph. In my Central States / Midwestern accent, "fire" does have
>two spoken syllables.

Fi er

I deny those Northeastern dictionary writer's authority to take the second
syllable away! Let alone those Great Brittian-ish dictionary writers!
Whose language do they think this is, anyway?

(I've tried saying it back and forth over and over. Fire two syllables for
sure!)

Ed ;-)

Me:  I've tried this too.  The only absolute exception I can think of is a
Firing Squad... I think it's always monosyllabic in that circumstance. How
very merciful.

My prononciation of "fire" seems to vary according to the preceding word(s).
"Come and sit by the fire", but "lighting a fi-er". Most odd.

Re: dipthongs - I think the word "mediaeval" (now universally spelled
"medieval" for some reason) is the only shift in spelling that I can
pinpoint over the last 30 years. When I was a child it was spelled
"mediaeval" every time.
I'm unconvinced that the prononciation has changed.

Kerry