[LMB] OT: Pronunciation of Megaera

Jacki Knight jacki at knightech.com.au
Thu Jun 24 09:21:47 BST 2010

On 24/06/2010, at 5:56 PM, kerry weisselberg wrote:
> Re: dipthongs - I think the word "mediaeval" (now universally spelled
> "medieval" for some reason) is the only shift in spelling that I can
> pinpoint over the last 30 years. When I was a child it was spelled
> "mediaeval" every time.
> I'm unconvinced that the prononciation has changed.

Not universally, no.  Like encyclopaedia and paediatrician, we still
use the normal spelling in this country.

Jacki in Canberra - confused by this new habit of dropping the
doubled-up consonant rule in some instances (labeling instead of the
proper labelling) but not in others (no-one writes swiming instead of
swimming)