[LMB] OT: war experiences was General Theme Question

Peter Granzeau pgranzeau at cox.net
Fri Jun 25 18:29:49 BST 2010

At 12:59 PM 6/25/2010, Judy R. Johnson wrote:
>On 6/25/2010 8:38 AM, Natali wrote:
>>On Thursday, June 24, 2010 9:59 PM Carol Cooper
>>asked me:
>>
>>>Natalie's Croatian, so that would be the nasty Balkan War and the breakup of Yugoslavia.  There were so many closely related wars going on there, bu that one would be Croatia versus Serbia, yes, Natalie?
>>>
>>Yup. As I wrote to Howard, the town I live in
>>was almost *on* the front line.
>>
>>Those are not nice memories. It feels awful to be
>>forced out of one's own home.
>>NEW -- JRJ> Sincere sympathy, Natali -- to you and to all innocent civilians persecuted by the tragedy, stupidity and waste of wars.

Looking at a map, it appears that during the breakup of Yugoslavia, Slovenia had the  good luck to be further away from Serbia than was Croatia, and Bosnia had the bad luck to be in between the two latter.

I am reminded of a quote from a Mexican president, who said something like, "Poor Mexico--God is so far away and the United States is so close."

--
Regards, Pete
pgranzeau at cox.net