[LMB] foreign travel (was: Re: OT: Pronunciation of Megaera)

Thomas Vinson t.vinson at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jun 27 02:00:51 BST 2010

Katrina Knight wrote:

 >When it comes to being exposed via the internet, you
 >can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink.

And if you tried to learn another country's spelling
via the internet you might well end up spelling the
adjective of the historical period "medeiaval":-)  (Your
mileage may very.)

As for spoken accents, I don't even have to leave town
to find someone whom I can hardly understand at all,
not counting recent immigrants from other countries or
states.

Changing the subject slightly:
When we were visiting my daughter a few years ago in
northern Queensland an older gentleman at the church
she attended remarked on differences in, not spelling,
but driving:  "You Americans drive on the right side;
we drive on the correct side."  That struck me as a
pleasant and useful attitude.

Tom