[LMB] foreign travel

Meg Justus mmegaera at nwlink.com
Sun Jun 27 18:52:09 BST 2010

Eric:
> And when I was describing a typical winter here to  some British people I
> knew, they were saying that it sounded like  Siberia.

Yeah, well, you live in Iowa, which explains that <g>.  Have you ever read
Bill Bryson's Notes from a Small Island?  Expat Iowan who lived in the UK.
You'd appreciate him.

When I first moved to the Pacific NW, it was in August, and a heat wave was
going on.  The thermometer was topping 80F (27C).  People were complaining
and carrying on like it was the end of the world.  I had just moved here
from Ohio by way of Montana, where 80 is a nice summer day, and I was
thinking, people, get a life!

Now, after 17 years here, I complain and carry on when it tops out over 80,
too.  It's all in what you get used to.

Megaera
who now complains when it gets much below 32F/0C in the wintertime, too