[LMB] OT: foreign travel on the cheap

M. Haller Yamada thefabmadamem at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 29 02:39:29 BST 2010

Judy asks if there's an inexpensive way to go. It *might* be possible to find a job as a companion or a private interpreter for someone who will pay your tickets. Also, I have a friend who played viola on a cruise ship in her youth, and she had a blast. In general, I think most jobs aboard a ship are low-paying and they also keep you busy (but I'm not sure why I think that . . . too many novels from the 19th century?). However . . . it's not bad to keep busy, and taking a cut in pay in order to have a fabulous experience might be a good idea. Particularly if you were retired anyway and just making fun money.

I would love to travel more, but with the family in tow, I usually wind up sticking to the home-to-Grandma's route.

Micki (who wants to hear more ideas about how to travel the world without a bunch of money)