[LMB] Borders of Infinity Discussion appetizer

Natali natali.vilic at zd.t-com.hr
Tue Jun 29 12:56:08 BST 2010

On Tuesday, June 29, 2010 2:34 AM M. Haller Yamada wrote:
>Just to get things rolling a little bit, but what is your favorite Bujold
short story? Care to expand a >little bit about why you like it, and when
you read it?  Where does "Borders of Infinity" fit in your >favorite short
stories list? And what does BoI remind you of?

>Micki

This story makes me think about all the
wasted skill, energy and ingenuity invested
in ways of breaking people instead of building
them. This makes me feel helpless and clueless,
like those people do, who create computer viruses
and then send them around to make damage to people
they never have, or will, meet in their life.
Double waste. One waste is in making destruction
instead of creation, second waste is of the talents
used wrongly. And these wastes just go on and on.
The whole idea of the Dagoola IV prison camp makes
me sick.
The funny thing is that this story, of all, was
the one I had doubted to be possible to happen
so in real life, speaking of what Miles did as a
religious missionary. To me, the strongest part of his
speech to Oliver, was the part when he explained
just how much of a fundamentalist he is. But still,
I do not see why all of them believed him.
You can work some people all the time, and you can
work all the people some time, but they were not
Ivans. The way those prisoners were broken, I
really do not see how come they woke up and became
alive again, however persuasive and mesmerising
Miles can be. Especially because *he* could not
be sure that his actions were read correctly,
by the powers above. When we are insecure in ourselves,
it shows, people can smell that.

My favourite Bujold short story is Mountains of
Mourning, where Miles made a true and great difference.
And it had nothing to do with waging war, just
with understanding people.
It is followed by Aftermaths, with its dark sad
beauty and its lessons.
I read MoM after TWA, and Aftermaths are on the
end of my copy of Shards, which I did not read
(in my first reading) before Brothers in Arms,
I think. It was long ago, I don't remember quite,
because later I always read the series in the
internal order of events.

Natali