[LMB] Leave and Foreign Travel now OT:

Jacki Knight jacki at knightech.com.au
Tue Jun 29 23:57:36 BST 2010

On 28/06/2010, at 7:27 PM, Ed Burkhead wrote:
> Aye, there's the difference.
> That, to you, is foreign travel.
> For us in the US, it's local.

As it is for us in Australia.  That's roughly the distance between
Sydney and Perth.  We semi-regularly drive the 1300km from Canberra
to Adelaide to visit my relatives (not that regularly - there's a
reason we live this far away after all!!).  Australia also is one
country in one continent, it is also roughly the size of the
contiguous United States so we understand all about long distances
thank you <G>.

I notice none of the other Aussies have mentioned Long Service Leave
- this is a statutory requirement that if you have worked for one
employer for 10 years then you get 3 months (actual detail depends on
which state's laws you come under) fully paid leave.  Then every 3
years after that they have to give you another month, also fully
paid.  Some industries have formed organisations where you can accrue
your leave even though you change employers frequently (construction
industry comes to mind).  This works by the employer paying 1% of all
the wages into a fund every quarter.  If you move to another company
then they pay for you.  At the end of your 10 years you apply to the
board for your pay during your leave period and the individual
employer doesn't have to pay you during that time (this also means
that the employer doesn't have to carry the leave liability in their
books either).

And of course, paid parental leave.  Maternity leave in most
organisations is 6 weeks fully paid and up to 2 years unpaid.  The
Government is in the process of instituting a 12 week scheme which
they are paying for (we hope!).  When I worked for the Commonwealth
Bank we got 12 weeks paid and we could also access any unused sick
leave we had accrued (sick leave is a statutory 10 days per year) and
could take that in conjunction with our maternity leave - and at half
pay if we chose to make it last longer. We were saving up for kids so
when I left the bank in 1994 I had almost 6 months of accrued sick
leave available to me after 16 years with them (should have gone on
stress leave and used it up before leaving!!).

So I guess we have it good compared to you guys.

Jacki in Canberra