[LMB] OT: horses (was Re: OT: The iPad will kill ebooks as we know them)

Judy R. Johnson jrj at fidalgo.net
Tue Mar 23 02:58:31 GMT 2010

On 3/22/2010 6:35 PM, quietann wrote:
> snip
> There are still a number of working ranches that use horses for cattle
> herding, fenceline patrols, and so forth.  In some terrain they are
> superior to any other conveyance.  Most of these "stock horses" are
> Quarter Horses, but a number are Morgans and I personally know a
> couple of ranches that breed Morgans for stock work.
>
> Also, in northern New England and some other areas, loggers use draft
> horse teams to pull felled trees out of areas that heavy equipment
> cannot reach.
>
> Ann

===================================
NEW -- JRJ> There's a TV station I get on Satellite, RFD, that has a lot
of documentaries showing such things  -- training, equipment, working,
history, etc.

For dragging single logs out, I would think that horses are superior
even to oxen, because more nimble.  And oxen do better with yokes, which
get hung up or won't go between trees.  As we get away from clear
cutting, there might be a resurgence.  In Europe, they cut selectively
most of the time, and use little 3-wheel tractors you walk behind to
drag the logs out.

Entwife Judy
Who doubts if the status quo is ever well enough to be let alone