[LMB] OT: Othello and female age

dreitman at spiritone.com dreitman at spiritone.com
Sat May 1 04:07:16 BST 2010

John Lennard <john.c.lennard at gmail.com> wrote:

> The production Katrina details sounds interesting, and better than the 2007
> production in Sydney with the aboriginal actor Wayne Blair as Othello. In
> the UK and US it's now almost compulsory to cast a man of black African
> heritage (unless you're doing one of the once-a-decade blackface productions
> - most recently Patrick Stewart in NYC, I think - that set out to show
> non-caricaturing blackface is possible, and that blackface does not =
> minstrelsy), so I find productions using another racial differentiation very
> interesting and thought-provoking.

>. . . .

Which in turn reminds me of Branagh's casting of Much Ado About Nothing.

ObLMB:

As of yet, we have no significant evidence of African-descended residents of Barrayar, but given that one of the colonizing societies was Britain, I'd expect some.  A Barrayaran production of Othello, therefore, may use one of them; otherwise, I'd expect the Greeks to substitute.

I can see both ToI and non-ToI settings.

Dan, ad nauseam