[LMB] OT: Othello and female age

Alex Haropulos aharo at erols.com
Sat May 1 13:24:24 BST 2010

On 5/1/2010 1:05 AM, Lois McMaster Bujold wrote:
> religion, sports, whatever...  The Greens and the Blues back in
> Byzantium would, as I understand it, have put the worst modern
> football mobs to shame.

Like the Rangers and Celtic in Scotland football (Protestant and
Catholic, respectively), the Greens and the Blues were as much about
religion as they were about chariot racing. Mix in a little politics as
well (the Emperor's team affiliation) and you get something, as Her
Ladyship says, "put[s] the worst modern football mobs to shame."

Interesting reading found at:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nika_riots

I sometimes cite the Greens and the Blues as an example of violent
divisions among apparently homogeneous groups (ergo, sit down and shut
up). After all, who would fight to the death over green and blue?

Alex H