[LMB] More thoughts caused by re-reading A Civil Affair

Leanne Martin leanne_martinau at yahoo.com.au
Mon Nov 1 00:50:12 GMT 2010

G'day all,

Whilst reading A Civil Affair again I was caused to ponder the Vorkosigan Honour
ethic after Miles dismissed the extradition of the Escobarans and ordered them
out of Vorkosigan House.

I must say that it spoiled my internal image of Miles' mantra of "Reputation is
how others see you. Honour is how you see yourself." (I hope I remembered it
correctly...) I guess I really expected him to broker a more equitable solution
after all the Escobaran financiers were in no way criminal in their funding.
Surely as a matter of ethics the Enrique/Vorkosigan/et al business venture must
make good to those investors dudded on Escobar given:
            Escobaran funds paid for the research from which the
Enrique/Vorkosigan/et al business venture is reaping the benefits;
            Mark and Enrique removed all that research material when they
absconded;
            There was nothing to suggest the backers were criminal and
'deserved' dudding;
            The Escobarans had done everything proper in Barrayaran law to
retrieve Enrique;
            Miles, in perusing the legal paperwork, only seemed to weigh it
against how his life might be affected if he acquiesced either way.

Cheers,
Leanne.