[LMB] Mark V as patron (was (supposed) feudal nonsense)

Thomas Vinson t.vinson at sbcglobal.net
Mon Nov 1 02:52:54 GMT 2010

Paula Lieberman cites Mark Vorkosigan as a patron of
the arts and sciences.

One big difference is that he sees the Durona group and
Enrique Burgos as investments, with a _big_ potential
payoff.  Applied research, not theoretical science.
And then Mark has his own reasons for supporting the
Duronas, specifically research into longevity.

The clearest case of a society supporting the arts appears
to be the quaddies' ballet.  That certainly is not an
aristocracy; I would probably label it syndicalism.*
I would actually expect the quaddies to have their own
version of janteloven (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jante_Law),
but that's contradicted to some extent by what looks like
widespread support and admiration for Garnet V and other
artists.  (I wonder if there are some groups that have
the philosophy "four hands good, two hands bad"?  Maybe
Leo is still too revered for that to happen.)

Tom

[*] Trusting Ross or someone to correct me on this if
I'm wrong.