[LMB] Sasha OT:

Paula Lieberman paal at gis.net
Mon Nov 1 16:43:53 GMT 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "Howard Brazee" <howard at brazee.net>
To: <lois-bujold at lists.herald.co.uk>
Sent: Monday, November 01, 2010 11:23 AM
Subject: Re: [LMB] Sasha OT:

> On 11/1/2010 8:24 AM, Katherine Collett wrote:
>>> Bill for William, Dick for Richard, Peg for Margaret... Anglophones
>> Also, in the even weirder department, Daisy for Margaret, Polly for Mary
>> ... are there others?
>
> I've read that some of these were designed to fit old names into a
> requirement to be "Christian".   But I've seen a lot of British and Aussie
> abbreviated words that made no sense to me.
>
> In Spanish, Jaime (Jimmy) is short for Diego.

Um.

 The -original- name is actually Ya'akov when transliterated.  That wound up
becoming Jacob  and also somehow James in English, Iago in some other
language, Iacopo in Italian or some such....  Iago to Diego is not a big
change, prepend a D...

Note that there was the "Jacobian" rebellion in Great Britain with the
proponents of the descendants of King James versus the proponents of those
supporting Hanoverians.