[LMB] META: US politics and Pizza calls

Damien Sullivan phoenix at ugcs.caltech.edu
Tue Nov 2 12:04:47 GMT 2010

On Tue, Nov 02, 2010 at 07:40:31AM -0400, Nancy L. Barber wrote:

> A pizza call may be made on *any*  topic when the caller felt the
> language was becoming inflammatory.  Not that you think it might become
> inflammatory, but that it is already going that way. If two other people
> agree, discussion should cease immediately.  As someone has already
> noted, parthian shots either in the pizza calls or in commenting on it
> are not allowed.
> http://www.dendarii.com/bujold_lst.html#pizza

Thanks for the reminder.

Experience with a different moderation style makes this feel even more
annoying than it did in the past, by the way.  I've spent more of my
online time on RPG.net for the past few years, a site for role-playing
games but also a general discussion forum.  There they come down on
style and tone, admonishing or temporarily banning users who use
personal insults or group attacks, or just strike a moderator as being
too much of a jerk.  Generally it's individual posters who get
admonished for being inflammatory, only rarely is a whole discussion
thread shut down.

Of course, that takes active moderators, or at least trusted authorities
who can go "hey *you*, tone it down or shut up".  But it's made for one
of the most pleasant discussion sites on the net.  And you don't get
people being told to shut up because someone else was being
inflammatory.

-xx- Damien X-)