[LMB] Papacy (WAS OT: Democracy)

Elizabeth Holden azurite at rogers.com
Tue Nov 2 16:14:25 GMT 2010

--- On Tue, 11/2/10, Howard Brazee <howard at brazee.net> wrote:

> Which can be a significant disadvantage of those
> dictators.    Sometimes we can keep the prince but
> remove his power.

It's my understanding (as mentioned here already) that in classical times, a dictator was usually chosen by the Senate for a fixed term.  Wikipedia says Julius Caesar changed this by making himself emperor for an indefinite term - which sounds right to me.  Thereafter, I suppose, the term for "Dictator" was transformed into "Emperor" and made hereditary.

namaste,
elizabeth