[LMB] A question about Barrayar

Paula Lieberman paal at gis.net
Tue Nov 2 16:27:05 GMT 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "Elizabeth Holden" <azurite at rogers.com>
To: "Discussion of the works of Lois McMaster Bujold."
<lois-bujold at lists.herald.co.uk>
Sent: Tuesday, November 02, 2010 11:47 AM
Subject: Re: [LMB] A question about Barrayar

> Tel said:
>
>> Barrayar pretty explicitly doesn't have a free media (have
>> we -ever- seen a Barrayaran reporter?).
>
> We saw Betan journalists.  They didn't fare well.
>
> There are lots of things we haven't seen on Barrayar that I'm sure are
> there, and I'd like to see them.  Novelistis.  Musicians.  Artists -
> except for one amateur.

It's quite clear that there are or have been playwrights, SOMEBODY was
pseudo-Shakespeare!

> We've been moving in a plot-driven ambiance of politicians, spies and
> soldiers.  The medical profession comes in for a lot of attention. We met
> one swordstick-salesman, and, IIRC, one grocer, at least by implication.
> One cook.
>
> The only thing I feel with any certainty that they don't have, is priests.

I wouldn't be entirely certain of that, who knows what lurks in the
backcountry parts of Districts the books have never travelled the reader
to!!!

Consider that the Mayan religion quite literally went underground after the
Iberian takeover of central America for 500 years, and that for the same 500
years various Iberian families practiced crypto-Judaism.  Some of the Mayans
and the crypto-Judaens have emerged out of the half-millenniuem of secrecy
to openly practice the religions they hid for so long.  In the shorter term,
there were families in England when Henry VIII created the Church of
England, who remained Roman Catholic, despite the impetus and all the
benefits of following the King to the new Christian denomination he founded
and made the state religion.

There could, I think, easily be people on Barrayar with religions with
priesthoods, invisible to readers .  For that matter, consider how religions
nd new branches of existing religions pop up, with people founding some out
of sudden revelation or mutating off of existing religions and their
branches (Martin Luther started off as a Roman Catholic priest, who got more
and more upset and irate as regards church hierarchy actions and inactions
compared to his views on how things ought to be.  L. Ron Hubbard famously
said, "If you want to get rich, found a religion" and then did so.   In more
contemporary times, interest in ancient religion prompted some people to
create/recreate religions based in part on ancient beliefs they researched
and found attractive.)   The people in denominations and religions not on
the mainstream often are invisible to popular culture attention and writing
and their religious leaders and methods of selecting leaders even less
visible, but they exist nonetheless.

This planet has a huge number of religions and denominations, varying from I
think low billions of Christians and more than a billion Moslems, to the low
numbers of e.g. Druse.   Most of the religions and religious denominations
are invisible at the macroscopic view level to people outside their
communities....