[LMB] HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!

Eric Oppen technomad at intergate.com
Tue Nov 2 16:31:39 GMT 2010

Quoting Pat Mathews <mathews55 at msn.com>:

> OH, how lovely! But wait! Here's a big burly red-bearded fellow and
> the entire longboat crew coming up the path with gifts of gold and
> garnet jewelry and an epic poem for the occasion, and a food gift --
>  oh, the honey-mead will be truly popular, but whatever will Ma
> Foxti  do with lutefisk?
>
> But the epic should be great, if only there is someone on hand who
> can translate it into Chalionese.

As I understand it, in the Old Country lutefisk is _poor people's_
food.  Scandinavian-Americans ate it because...well, they didn't come
over here because things were going SO well in the Old Country.

When my dad and I were in Norway, people looked at us very oddly when
we asked about things like lutefisk.  Now, lefse...my mom was not
Norwegian herself (Dad was pure-blooded) but after she discovered
lefse she said that we couldn't have it around the house except at
Christmas, because if it was around all the time she'd weigh five
hundred pounds.  And considering that Mom tended to be rather
underweight, you can see how much she loved that stuff.