[LMB] meat

mtraber251 mtraber251 at earthlink.net
Tue Nov 2 19:27:42 GMT 2010

Howard Brazee wrote:

> But regarding your reply - when did French cuisine get to be good?
> From what I've read, it wasn't until well after the Normans arrived.

Oddly enough, you find copies of the exact same 'recipes' all over
europe. When the nobles married, the women tended to take along their
chefs [and most french cuisine is actually thanks to the italian chef of
Catherine di Medici [who married Henri the second I believe] The
normans, ie vikings rolled into Normandy in 820-920 CE, by the way. The
earliest scandanavian cookbook [Harpestrang - Old Danish Urte-books,
Stonebooks and Cookbooks] is dated 1300-1350 CE, and is obviously a copy
of a continental cookbook brought into the area either by purchase,
theft or marriage. All the recipes are close to what you would have
found in the French Italian German or English courts of the day.

Though in all honesty, cookbooks with measurements and temperatures and
detailed directions are sort of modern [well if you can call 1600s
modern. I sort of do =)]

It is rather fun to grab Cariadocs Miscellaney where he has reprinted a
buttload of period cookery books and start reading =) You would be
amazed at how many different recipes there are for of all things french
toast! ranging from just like we make it now, to french toast balls =)